.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pure

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

"inaccessible to the masses"

i won't say i know what that comment says about this blog, but i will return to my original habit of telling stories. (but i'm always telling stories - stories are everything, everything is a story).


A farmer meets a wolf out by his barn. it is bloody and ragged, having been chased by hunters who are still in pursuit. "Brother farmer," says the wolf, "please shield me." The farmer agrees, and opens the barn door, covering the wolf with straw and bidding him to lie quiet. In a moment the hunting party arrives, and ask the farmer if he has seen a wolf anywhere. The farmer says no, but the hunting party know the trail led into the farmer's land.

"I hope you find that wolf then," the farmer says. "Wolves will eat my livestock and kill my dogs. They are vermin that i can certainly do without. If I find that wolf I'll kill it myself."

The hunters cross the farmer's land to continue the chase into the forest, thanking him as they go. When the farmer opens the barn door again, he finds the wolf snarling at him, ready to pounce.

"What are you doing?" cries the farmer. "After I saved you from those hunters!"

"I can't trust you! I heard what you said," replies the wolf. "you'll kill me too, soon."

"Things change quickly, and in times of need there are things we must say for convenience," says the farmer. "Surely you must understand."

The wolf backs away subdued. "I apologise," he says, "perhaps I was over hasty in my judgement of you."

The farmer says, "No matter, let us get you out of here. I have an idea: You will hide here in a barrel next to me. I will shoot into the forest, and attract the hunters. I'll send them into the forest after you, and then you can go running in the opposite direction. It'll take them ages to pick up your trail again."

The wolf agrees, and the farmer goes to get his shotgun. When he returns, the wolf climbs into the barrel and the farmer promptly shoots him several times. The farmer tips him out, and the wolf asks in a dying breath, "but why? You said you would help me. I trusted you."

"You didn't trust me. And so, I do not trust you. Things change quickly."



Ok science people, this can't be so difficult for you. simple animal fable. thanks to ed and the daughter of the drow for the origin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home